By January 22, 2017, all employers must ONLY use the new version of Form I-9, so go ahead and stock up! Until that date, you may use the new form or continue to use the Form I-9 that bears the date 03/08/2013.
Changes to the new form include...
• Section 1 asks for “other last names used” rather than “other names used”
• Additional prompts to make sure information is entered properly
• Space to list more than one preparer and/or translator
• Space to list additional information
• Space for preparers and translators to add notes of their own
Like other federal forms, the instructions are now line-by-line and are separate from the form.
Employees can also fill in the new Form I-9 from a computer. Fields are complete with drop-down lists and calendars, making it super easy to fill in fields or prompt for help if necessary. It’s also easy to clear fields and start again.
Find the new 1-9 form, as well as instructions, here.