Everyone cringes when the final submission for the W-2’s is sent to the Social Security Administration (SSA). You might ask yourself questions like, did I check all my numbers correctly, what if the format I sent is wrong and simply have I dotting all my ‘I’s’ and crossed all my ‘T’s’.
SSA provides helpful hints as guidance to alleviate and/or reduce errors and ease concerns.
Some of the areas covered are:
- How to avoid balancing errors with direction on where to look for numbers in the file that should agree
- How to avoid Medicare Related Errors in the file
- How to avoid errors related to tax year – the correct calendar year is crucial
- How to avoid file format errors by testing the file through AccuWage prior to submitting the file to SSA
- How to avoid missing or misidentified records in the file
Employee’s may want to file their returns early and get their refund, but verification is imperative. If the information is incorrect, the employee may have to refile and the employer could be subject to penalties and interest. Take your time and do it right the first time.